Have you ever wondered how people make the perfect spiral tie dye t-shirt? There is a trick to it.
A few weeks ago, during my son’s graduation open house, everyone saw this adorable photo of him as a baby (I was such a hippie momma) and asked me how I made such a perfect tie dye.
There are three important keys to making the perfect tie dye t-shirt:
- Tying off your t-shirt properly
- Pre-soaking your t-shirt in Soda Ash Dye Fixer
- Putting concentrated dye into squeeze bottles instead of dipping the shirt into a bucket
Pre-soaking is done according to package directions on the Soda Ash (which you can order from Amazon.com or find in most craft departments), and is fairly self explanatory.
Tying off your t-shirt is a little more complicated.
You will need:
- A fairly slippery surface to work on (an outdoor table covered in plastic works well)
- A handful of sturdy rubberbands (3 per t-shirt)
- Gloves to protect your hands
This handy video can show you the process much clearer than I probably can explain. This is the same basic technique I’ve used before too, with awesome results.